Saturday 13 October 2012

International Day of the Girl

I Am Malala Yousafzai
we're all connected

The United Nations has declared that , October 11th, is the International Day Of The Girl. I choose to honor that day with the story of a young woman whom I didn't know until this week. Her name is Malala Yousafzai, and she is from Pakistan. This young woman (she's 14) has been fighting for the right for young women in her country to attend school despite the violent rule of the Taliban. Unfortunately, she was shot this week by the Taliban for continuing to advocate for children's education. She's currently laying in a hospital on a ventilator fighting for her life.

Malala, I may just be one woman, but I love and respect you for believing in your self and in the right for empowered women to have a place in this world.


source: Natalie Villalobos

No comments: